There are so many products out there, so how do you choose what’s right for you? How do you care for your hair to get a shiny, healthy appearance? Here are some basic dos and don’ts to help!
Hair Care Dos
1) Get a trim every 6 to 8 weeks
• Even if you want to keep your hair long, it is essential to get rid of split ends and keep your hair healthy. This will ensure beautiful, shiny, strong locks.
2) Shampoo your hair only when needed
• Your hair can get very dried out if you shampoo every day. You can rinse your hair if you have excess oil.
3) Use a wide-tooth comb when your hair is wet
• When your hair is wet it is very easy to break, so comb with care starting with the ends and moving toward the scalp. Only use a brush when your hair is dry.
4) Use products for your hair type
• If you color your hair, use shampoo and conditioner for color-treated hair. If you have very oily hair use a deep cleansing shampoo. To keep your hair color brilliant, use a color enhanced shampoo and conditioner for your specific color.
5) Stay with one chemical treatment at a time
• To keep your hair healthy, choose one chemical treatment at a time such as color, perm, or relaxing.
6) For drastic color changes go to a professional
• If you want to go from brunet to blond go to a salon. At home color is good for small changes. Try a washout color for the fun without the commitment.
7) Use a styling product to protect hair from heat before drying and ironing
• Use a styling product before you blow-dry your hair. When possible, let your hair air-dry because styling with heat cases damage to hair.
Hair Care Don’ts
1) Don’t trim your own hair. A regular scissors can damage hair and cause more split ends.
2) Don’t stay with an outdated look! Change is good. Look at magazines and talk with your stylist for suggestions.
3) Don’t use lightening products that work with the sun. They dry hair out and may make it look orange.
4) Do not go to a new salon with out getting a referral from a friend. Or you can look online for salons that are related to one of your cities’ best.
5) Avoid excessive sun, chlorine and salt water, which can damage your hair.
6) Don’t use a clarifying product more than once a week.